Greek English
HOME PAGE / CHURCHES / CHURCH OF AGIOS CHARALAMPOS
Print this page

CHURCH OF AGIOS CHARALAMPOS

The church of Agios Charalambos was constructed in 1850 and is located in the centre of Deneia, opposite the Primary School. The senior residents of the village report that the church was constructed after request by the Christian residents of Deneia towards the ottoman official of the village. In particular, at the time there were only three or four Christian families at the village, whereas the rest of the residents were Turks. These families managed to get permission and a donation of £5 from the ottoman official for the construction of the church.  

It is a stony church with an imposing church tower which was renovated at the beginning of the 20th century and in particular in 1920. It is 30 metres long and 10 metres wide.

Externally, the eastern side of the church ends with a polygonal arc, whereas the northern and southern sides are adorned by large wooden spans. Internally, the church is adorned by frescos and a wooden iconostasis bearing portable icons.

Source:
Community Council  

CONTACT US

ΚΟΙΝΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟ ΔΕΝΕΙΑΣ
Χαράλαμπου Μούσκου 5
2675 Δένεια, Λευκωσία
Τηλ: 22835376 ,99522653
Φαξ: 22832663

 

Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc